Flutes are one of the most popular woodwind instruments. The lyrical and magical instrument peaks the interest of many band students every year. Whether you’re a parent trying to find a great beginner flute or a professional flute player looking for a great sounding flute, we’ve got you covered.
Best Beginner Flute
The most popular beginner flute brand, Gemeinhardt delivers with this impressive student flute.
- Triple coated silver plated finish
- Offset G key
- Stainless steel springs
Best Intermediate Flute
The Gemeinhardt 3SB flute is a moderately-priced option that is suited to intermediate students and professionals alike.
- Sterling silver head and body
- Solid-silver NG1 headjoint
- Complete kit
Best Professional Flute
A great professional flute with a warm and beautiful tone.
- Sterling silver body
- Straubinger Phoenix Pads
- Silver-plated, nickel silver keys
Best Flutes for Beginner and Intermediate Students
|1. Gemeinhardt 3SB Flute||Price not available|
|2. Pearl 525RBE1RB Quantz Series Flute||$959.94|
|3. Yamaha Professional 677H Series Flute||$3,999.99|
|4. Yamaha YFL-222 Intermediate Flute for Student||$575.76|
|5. Gemeinhardt Flute (2SP)||$479.00|
|6. Jean Paul USA Silver Plated Flute (FL-220)||$199.99|
|7. Yamaha YFL-462 Intermediate Flute Offset G B-Foot||$2,255.99|
|8. Mendini Nickel Silver Closed Hole C Flute with Stand||Price not available|
|9. Gemeinhardt Model 3OB Flute||$947.70|
|10. Trevor James 10X Flute with Curved & Straight Headjoints||$631.49|
|11. Azumi Flute (AZ2SRBO)||$1,799.00|
|12. Di Zhao Student Flute 200 Model DZ 200||$695.00|
|13. Eastar EFL-1 Closed Hole C Flute||$69.99|
|14. Pearl 525RB1RB Quantz series Flute||$988.00|
|15. Lazarro 120-NK Professional Silver Nickel Closed Hole C Flute||$84.99|
What to Look for in Flutes for Beginner and Intermediate Students
Finding a great flute can be challenging. We recommend evaluating them on the following features in order to find a great flute.
Flutes are made from several different types of metals — usually nickel, silver, and/or gold. The best flute for beginners is made of a nickel and silver combination, combining durability with good tone.
- Nickel-plated or nickel-silver alloy flutes are cheap, easy to clean, and produce a light, clear tone. This is the cheapest flute material and is usually found in beginner or student flutes.
- Silver is the most common flute material. It is more difficult to clean than nickel and requires more diligent upkeep but is preferred by intermediate and professional flutists alike for its solid weight and beautiful, pure sound. Many flutes will have a nickel body with silver plating.
- Some professional flutes are made with gold plating or a blend of gold and silver. It’s especially common for the lip plate to be made of gold to provide the flutist with extra traction. Gold flutes are much more expensive than other types and produce a warm, rich sound.
There are several extra features to look for and consider when shopping for a flute. Depending on the experience level of the flutist and the type of music they intend to play, some features will be very useful, while others might be unnecessary. Consider the age and level of the flutist when deciding what the best flute for them is.
Some features to look for include:
- A gizmo key, which is often found on the foot joint and helps the flutist play a low C by closing the low B tone hole.
- The G key, which can either be inline or offset. The inline G key is set in a straight line with the other keys, while the offset G key is tilted slightly compared to the others. An offset G key is especially suitable for children or adults with smaller hands.
- Flute keys can be closed- or open-hole. Closed-hole keys are completely solid and are an excellent choice for beginners. On the other hand, open-hole keys have holes on five of the center keys. The open holes give the flute a better tone but are more suitable for intermediate and advanced players due to the precise finger placement needed to play with this style.
- Special head joints or lip plates are often made of a higher quality metal than the rest of the flute, such as gold. These special joints improve the sound of the flute overall but are more expensive.
- Some flutes have a split E mechanism, which helps improve the stability of the high E note and is especially useful for beginner flutists.
All Flutes for Beginner and Intermediate Students
1. Gemeinhardt 3SB Flute
This intermediate flute has a solid silver body and foot joint with a gold-plated lip plate. It comes with a sturdy case, soft case cover with shoulder strap, and a cleaning rod. With its open-hole keys, inline G key, and high-quality materials, the Gemeinhardt 3SB flute is a moderately-priced option that is suited to intermediate students and professionals alike.
2. Pearl 525RBE1RB Quantz Series Flute
If you’re looking to upgrade from your beginner flute, the Pearl 525RBE1RB is a mid-level instrument with a few extra features that make it a steal at under $1,000. This silver-plated flute comes with a silver lip plate and open-hole keys for improved control and sound, while also remaining accessible for new flutists with its offset G key and split E mechanism.
3. Yamaha Professional 677H Series Flute
Yamaha is one of the most famous instrument producers in the world thanks to their impeccable craftsmanship and special manufacturing techniques. The Yamaha Professional 677H flute is an intermediate-to-advanced instrument with a sterling silver head joint, body, and foot joint. Its silver-plated nickel keys ensure ease of use while its open-hole keys and sterling silver makeup result in a warm, beautiful tone.
4. Yamaha YFL-222 Intermediate Flute for Student
The Yamaha YFL-222 is an inexpensive student flute that has been specially designed for the needs of beginners. Its nickel-silver keys and neoprene key bumpers ensure durability, while its closed-hole keys are easy to use and perfectly suited for student flutists. This flute comes with a hard case, polishing cloth, polishing gauze, cleaning rod, and a beginner’s manual.
5. Gemeinhardt Flute (2SP)
If you’re wondering what the best flute for beginners is, the Gemeinhardt 2SP is a popular and well-respected choice. Its triple-coated silver plated finish stays beautiful for years, while the clean and decisive action of its keys help students memorize fingerings more easily. The 2SP comes with an offset G key and closed-hole keys, allowing for greater ease of playability.
6. Jean Paul USA Silver Plated Flute (FL-220)
This affordable flute for beginners is ergonomically designed to help novices play with a clear, crisp tone. The silver-plated finish is both durable and beautiful, while the power-forged keys help ensure each note is fingered clearly. With closed-hole keys and an offset G key, this flute comes with all the necessary features to make a new flutist’s learning curve as easy as possible.
7. Yamaha YFL-462 Intermediate Flute Offset G B-Foot
Are you looking for the best flute for a variety of skill levels? The Yamaha YFL-462 is an intermediate flute designed for students who want to take their playing to the next level. With a gold lip plate and a sterling silver body, this flute produces a warm, rich sound that’s enhanced by its open-hole keys. It retains the durability and ease of use that’s so important to students with its nickel-plated, power-forged keys and offset G key.
8. Mendini Nickel Silver Closed Hole C Flute with Stand
For the flutist just starting, this Mendini flute is highly affordable and comes with everything a musician needs to start playing. Coming with a case, cleaning cloth, cleaning rod, gloves, joint grease, a foldable stand, and a booklet of basic fingerings, this option is perfect for young flutists. Its split E mechanism, offset G key, and durable bladder pads make it easy to use for small hands.
9. Gemeinhardt Model 3OB Flute
The Gemeinhardt 3OB is an affordable intermediate flute that produces a better sound than beginner flutes without breaking the bank. With a silver-plated construction and open-hole keys, the 3OB is perfect for the intermediate student looking for a step above their first instrument. Its high level of craftsmanship and durable materials make it both a beautiful and practical option.
10. Trevor James 10X Flute with Curved & Straight Headjoints
This student flute is designed to grow with its flutist. The Trevor James 10X Flute comes with a curved head joint along with a standard straight head joint, allowing very young students to reach every key easily. Once the student has outgrown the curved head joint, they can easily swap it out for the straight joint.
11. Azumi Flute (AZ2SRBO)
With a sterling silver head joint, silver-plated body, and open-hole keys, the Azumi AZ2SRBO is one of the best flutes for intermediate or even professional use. Its high-quality construction with stainless steel springs ensures its durability for years to come, while its gizmo key and offset G key make it easy to play. This flute is suitable for a wide range of skill levels thanks to its moderate pricing and silver construction.
12. Di Zhao Student Flute 200 Model DZ 200
Designed with beginner flutists in mind, the Di Zhao 200 Model Student Flute combines a beautiful silver-plated body with the ease of use features beginners love. The silver lip plate provides a solid base for beginners to learn proper embouchure, while the closed-hole keys are easy to play. With an offset G key and a standard C foot joint, this is a reliable and affordable option for any beginner.
13. Eastar EFL-1 Closed Hole C Flute
This highly durable and convenient flute kit makes an excellent gift for a beginner flutist. Its cupronickel body and steel springs are damage resistant and produce a clear, light sound. The Eastar EFL-1 comes with everything a flutist needs to get started, including a hard case, shoulder strap, portable stand, cleaning cloth, cleaning rod, and adjustment screws.
14. Pearl 525RB1RB Quantz series Flute
The Pearl 525RB1RB is a step above standard beginner flutes with a sterling silver lip plate and open-hole keys. At under $1,000, it’s suitable for parents looking for a combination of affordability and high-quality craftsmanship. This flute comes with a hard case and a soft case cover with a shoulder strap.
15. Lazarro 120-NK Professional Silver Nickel Closed Hole C Flute
With dependable cupronickel construction, closed-hole keys, and a split E mechanism, this beginner’s flute is easy to play for even the newest flutist. The Lazarro 120-NK is particularly suitable as a gift set, since it comes with a range of care accessories including a case, cleaning cloth, cleaning rod, joint grease, and a screwdriver.